- Sir Robert Peel was a major influence in creation of the modern concept of police force which resulted in officers being known as “Peelers” in Ireland and “Bobbies” in England in the year 1829. The two nicknames are still used today. He proposed the setting up of Special police force when he was Chief Secretary in Dublin. Peel is considered as the father of modern policing. He came up with Peelian Principleswhich clearly spelt the ethical requirements police officers must follow in order to be effective. "The police are the public, and the public are the police", became his famous principle. The idea that crime can be fought without interfering with the lives of citizens was his. Among the nine of his principles is the community policing. The idea of prevention of crime can be managed entirely by the community. Both the community and the police equally share ownership and responsibility to prevent crime. This has been done by many law enforcement organizations in the country. It target is to prevent crime and promote better police-community partnerships. The main purpose of the police is to prevent crime and to bring order in the nation. This was Peel’s idea and to this day we still see police patrolling the street in a bid to curb crime. Others use patrol cars to reach to the community and identify the people’s problems and get the right course of action in response. The other principle that has been held to this day is that of public approval and cooperation. This idea stated that for policing to be effective; police had to win a willing co-operation from the society. They are to be given a chance to work and learn different cultures. The amount of cooperation fell proportionately to the urge to the use of physical force. But it will be allowed, only if it is the only option to secure order. They have the responsibility of maintaining good relationship with the public. Finally, the efficiency of police is realized in times of absence of crime and disorder.
- Law enforcement today has greatly been influenced by the improvement in technology. Internet technology and social networking sites makes it easy for gang s to communicate and plan crimes. This has rendered the collection of Intelligence an issue so hard to deal with by the federals. Terrorism has been on the rise, giving rise to decentralized intelligence_ acting beyond the usual scope of federal government and intelligence agencies. This requires changes to culture and common knowledge of law enforcement. This prompts the state and local enforcement community to bring up police officers in the recognition and awareness of the usual criminal activity and that may resemble terrorism. This change in the law enforcement culture, with awareness of domestic terror threat, calls for full commitment on leaders and administrators.
- To be a police officer has proved to be difficult. This can be attributed to hurdles that one has to go through before they are hired. High school certificate is mandatory. The candidates go through a thorough vetting exercise to check on their past if they have any criminal records. One goes through physical, drugs, personality and psychological tests and must pass the physical qualifications. These conditions are rather harsh and need to be slightly relaxed. Many individuals don’t meet certain requirements but are really smart in other fields. For example, a candidate may not be taller as required but meets all other standards. It will not be fair to send him back. With these rules, the physically disabled will never get the chance to work in any field of the police department.
- A code of silence comes about when an officer voluntarily or involuntarily with-holds an important information. This is because of the likely threat or fear of being branded a traitor. The law enforcement system ignores this by assuming the negative impact of this code. To change this idea, there has to be an administrative commitment- the leaders should possess integrity and sincere commitment to it. During recruitments, officers should be exposed to a benevolent Code of Silence. The officers must exercise open and honest communication and all the supervisors should act as role models.
- The law enforcement touches on all the ethnic groups. Thus employing from these groups is an idea to embrace. This ensures that, in the police department, there is always a capability to deal with and to understand every culture. There should be someone in police such that at any given time all cultures are represented.
Reaction to Social Exchange Theory
Chinese Racism in America Today and How We Can Fix It
Life Course Fundamentals and Crime
The Relationship between Gun Ownership and Public Health