February 25, 2020
How to Write a Synthesis Essay Step by Step?
Being a passionate and result-oriented learner, you definitely want to know how to write a synthesis essay step by step. It is not a secret that writing a synthesis essay is an integral part of the academic curriculum of every student since this assignment allows to demonstrate their best research, analytical, and interpretive skills. If you need to write such an essay but you have no sufficient expertise or appropriate writing skills, then you are just in the right place as we have created a great guide full of efficient techniques and suggestions on how to write a synthesis essay of exceptional quality. So, let`s begin:
1. Understand the aim of your paper. The main goal of any synthesis essay is to build logical connections between some parts of the work or works. In other words, you need to investigate your work from all angles in order to find some connections between its major aspects. In case your professor assigned the topic manually, you need to understand it properly because the failure to understand your prompt may result in a bad grade. Besides, you need to know that there are three main synthesis essay types, which are as follows:
- Review synthesis essay. A review type assumes an in-depth analysis of what has already been told about the topic. When writing a review paper, the author should work with credible and up-to-date academic materials suggesting brand new perspectives on the topic discussion. Your main task is to explain whether the topic is adequately addressed by the scholars, as well as indicate the main benefits and shortcomings in their approaches. This type of synthesis essay is widely used in nursing;
- Argumentative synthesis essay. Such a paper suggests a clear position within the scope of the topic and supports it with strong evidence. To write such an essay, the author should collect relevant information that may help convince the readers in his or her viewpoint. Such a synthesis essay is often assigned to students pursuing their degrees in business;
- Explanatory synthesis essay. This type allows the writer to study the research topic by categorizing important facts and presenting them in a clear and comprehensive manner. Such a type is widely used in writing white papers.
2. Choose a good subject for your essay. If you are allowed to select a topic for your essay, you need to choose the one that was not well-analyzed previously. This topic should provide you with sufficient room for discussion, thus it should not be too narrow. Making preliminary research is a very good way to select the topic for your synthesis essay as it will help you understand what areas require in-depth investigation. In case your professor assigned the topic manually, you need to learn everything about it in order to write a piece of high quality.
3. Select the right sources. Writing an outstanding synthesis essay is impossible without working with credible, peer-reviewed, and relevant academic sources. When working with these sources, you should deeply investigate the ideas discussed by their authors. Make sure to annotate these sources as it will help you implement these ideas into your synthesis essay mentioning their authorship. Later, you may introduce these sources in your paper in the form of direct or indirect citations keeping track of your own ideas.
VIP SERVICES OFFER
4. Make up a strong thesis. In any academic essay, a thesis statement is the main idea that defines the flow of the paper. Usually, it has the form of a hypothesis or a thought-provoking claim that will be proved within the essay. A thesis statement is usually written at the end of the introduction when the background information on the topic is already presented.
5. Check your research materials once again to make sure they fit your thesis. Look through your notes in order to check whether these facts, quotes, and statistics match your thesis. If there are any inconsistencies, make sure to fix them. Besides, if you believe that your opponents have a different opinion, feel free to suggest some arguments proving that they are not right.
What Is a Synthesis Essay? Essential Information
Before you understand how to write a good synthesis essay, you should learn what a synthesis essay is. Basically, a synthesis essay is one of the commonly accepted tasks in the educational institutions, which assumes analyzing logical relations between the ideas suggested by different researchers or find some relations between two or more different aspects of the particular study. To create a great synthesis essay, the student should possess excellent analytical skills. Of course, given the challenging nature of this assignment, it is obvious that writing a synthesis essay is not an easy task to do. However, we assure you that by practicing your skills, as well as studying the great synthesis essay samples, you will be able to improve your writing proficiency and get a good grade.
Learn How a Great Synthesis Essay Outline Should Look Like
Do not start writing your synthesis essay without having a good synthesis essay outline. An outline is a plan for your essay that will help you keep all of your ideas organized. Although many students opine that writing an outline is just a waste of time, we assure you that it is not true. A good outline is the backbone of your essay allowing you to keep track of your ideas and arguments. Having an outline significantly reduces the risks of submitting a poorly organized paper. As such, it is difficult to underestimate the importance of an outline. So, how to write it? The best way to write a synthesis essay is to divide it into three basic parts:
- An introduction;
- The main body;
- A conclusion.
How to write a synthesis essay introduction? An introduction of your synthesis essay should briefly explain your topic and suggest a good thesis statement. Of course, this part should be engaging and intriguing in order to involve the readers and make them follow the rest of the paper. To cope with this task well, try to think “What would engage me if I were a reader?” Putting yourself in the shoes of your audience, you will find it easier to find the right words to make the first impression. Actually, there are a few effective ways to start your paper. First, you may introduce some striking facts pertaining to your topic. Second, you may include some thought-provoking quote of a famous person. After all, only by catching the readers` attention at once, you will be able to achieve the anticipated outcome;
The main body of your synthesis essay should present the actual discussion of your topic. Make sure to divide it into several meaningful paragraphs beginning each of them with a good topic sentence. In the main body of your paper, do not be afraid to introduce the ideas of other researchers citing them carefully in accordance with the formatting style requested by your prompt.
How to write a conclusion for a synthesis essay? The final part of your synthesis essay is a conclusion. Actually, it is your opportunity to re-state all the meaningful ideas discussed in the previous parts of your essay. The synthesis essay conclusion should not include citations or new details as its primary purpose is to summarize the writer`s position.
Choose the Best Synthesis Essay Topics
If you lack the creative synthesis essay ideas, we advise you to look through our list of synthesis essay topics and boost your writing inspiration.
- The role of social media in our lives. Write a literature review;
- Discuss the level of effectiveness of secondary education;
- What approaches are the most effective in combatting pollution effects?
- Do you agree that sex education in schools can raise awareness among students?
- Do you agree that passenger airlines are not that convenient and secure nowadays? Support your answer with good examples;
- In what way do the new forms of communication affect human relations?
- Indicate the role of Instagram in the life of adolescents;
- What are the main benefits and shortcomings of chaotic deforestation?
- Can some commercials be treated as art? Discuss the role of Banksy`s work in modern culture;
- How sustainable the current US healthcare system is?
- In what way modern technologies can help underdeveloped countries?
- Do you agree that US citizens should have free access to medical services?
- Do you support the claim that wearing the dress code in school is a good idea? Why? / Why not?
- What is the role of the American dream concept in contemporary US society? Are people still pursuing it?
- What is more important in reaching success: innate talent or hard work? Support your answer with real-life examples.
- How do contemporary TV shows promote stereotypes?
- Can smoking bring use to the human organism?
- Is the customer always right?
- In what way people can improve their living standards?
- Discuss the main shortcomings of the US justice system.
- Are there any problems related to racism in contemporary US society?
- Do you agree that violent movies should not be displayed in the cinema?
- What contemporary events may lead to the war?
- Discuss all the benefits and shortcomings of human cloning.
- In what way does traveling broaden our worldview?
We assure you that each of the topics suggested above may be a basis for your paper. Just use our best writing skills and turn your essay into a great masterpiece!
Get a price quote