May 22, 2019
Before you learn how to write a classification and division essay, you need to find out a definition on what a classification paper is. According to the definition provided by professional writers, a classification or division paper is a type of essay writing that deals with the process of classifying objects, things or phenomena in general or in accordance with specific categories. Moreover, it helps to find out categories and reveal connections between them.
Classification and Division Essay: Strategies for Proper Writing
The overall process of writing a classification and division essay is related to the combination of two different strategies. First, you have to divide a large and complex topic into subtopics in order to explain them clearly. Second, you need to decide what categories are needed and what information suits best into each of them. One of the most vivid examples of classification principles is a newspaper, where information is classified into columns, categories, and topics, such as fashion, sports, health, nutrition, etc. Thus, it should be concluded that it is important to be clear when writing a classification and division paper. Particularly, you need to make it clear for your reader why you have chosen specific topics, categories, and why it is significant to pay attention to them. It is vital to discuss specific categories and their components really clearly in order to provide clear discussion and not confuse your reader.
Planning How to Write a Classification and Division Essay
Step 1. Come up with an idea or topic on what to classify. It is recommended to choose a topic that you are interested in. It is vital to specialize in the topic you present, so be sure that you have sufficient knowledge in it.
Step 2. After you have chosen your topic, researched it, and studied it in detail, you need to think of the subtopics or constituents that this topic may be divided into. This step is also essential in the process of organizing body paragraphs and developing ideas.
When you wonder how to write a division and classification essay, be sure that you pay attention not only to the writing process but also to the pre-writing stage. It is necessary to think well before you begin to write.
Particularly, think about the following aspects of writing:
- Select the topic. If you have not been assigned a topic for your essay by your professor, make sure you have sufficient time to investigate the most interesting topics for you and choose the best that suits your needs and interests of your target audience. When choosing the topic, it is also vital to pay attention to some “technical” aspects, such as whether the topic can be well divided or classified into categories, whether it is not too complex or too broad, etc.
- Keep in mind your target audience. When writing any type of academic papers be it essays or research papers, you need to consider your target audience. As such, it is essential to strike a balance between what interests you and your readers. Moreover, you need to consider your target audience when explaining the topic and choosing specific vocabulary or terms to discuss it. It is recommended to use neutral language and do not use too much of technical jargon, specific abbreviations or acronyms.
- Provide an outline of your division and classification essay. Writing an outline will be helpful when it comes to the essay organization. It will help you plan the paper, carefully think of its structural parts, and think of the paragraph development. When composing an outline, take into consideration the following aspects: the topic you discuss; the main subtopics, or paper constituents; definitions of the topics and subtopics; examples and supporting evidence for providing a broad and clear discussion.
Organizational Techniques and Principles
The following aspects are crucial to consider when working on a classification and division paper:
- all subcategories should correspond to a single topic and should not deviate from the main topic chosen by the writer;
- all subcategories need to be discussed logically and coherently;
- each category should contain examples that serve as an illustrative function.
Techniques for Writing
Before studying the techniques for writing a classification and division essay, it is essential to understand the core aim of writing. After you have outlined and understood the main purpose of writing your essay, check out the following tips and strategies for successful writing:
- Choose a specific more or less complex topic and divide it into separate subtopics/ parts. The parts should be easily discussed and manageable, which will help your target audience to comprehend the topic and understand it from different perspectives.
- Come up with a single classifying principle. Make sure that all subtopics or aspects are classified according to a single logical principle. Make sure you identify what the subtopics have in common. The overall discussion should be carried out considering this aspect.
- Make sure you identify the categories in a clear and distinct way. The categories should be named clearly. Further, you need to explain them in detail by adding sufficient examples and supporting evidence.
- Double-check whether the categories you have outlined and discussed are related to your thesis statement. All the categories discussed in the body of the paper should support the thesis.
A thesis statement plays a crucial role in classification paper writing. Particularly, you should definitely state the topic of the paper and the way of its classification. If relevant, you can also pinpoint to the reason why the topic was classified in that specific way. Overall, the thesis should be logically formulated.
How to Structure a Classification and Division Paper:
- Introduction. In the introductory paragraph, make sure to provide background information about the very topic. Highlight the significance of the topic and your reasons for choosing this specific aspect for research and discussion. Make sure you finish the introductory paragraph with a thesis statement, where you provide a strong and clear argument on the principles of classification and division.
- The main body. It comprises of the body paragraphs where each deals with a specific category of classification. As a rule, it is necessary to begin each body paragraph with a strong and clear topic sentence that reflects the core idea or message you intend to convey. The topic sentence should include the idea of the category of classification and present some argument as to why this classification aspect is important. After the topic sentence, you need to include illustrative and supporting examples. When arranging the body paragraphs, you may start with a discussion of the most important aspect of classification. Remember to use transitional phrases between ideas and paragraphs as well as to provide comparisons between the ideas.
- Conclusion. Here you need to provide a logical summation of the whole discussion and re-emphasize the key aspects. You also need to reiterate the thesis. Remember that you are not allowed to introduce any new aspects to the topic in the conclusion. Just leave your final comments concerning the topic.
One of the core things to remember is to provide a discussion of useful and meaningful categories. Moreover, it is needed to apply a unique principle of division and organization as well as provide sufficient illustrations and examples.
Get a price quote